LBS added a video component to their application process for September 2017 intake. Here is some information from a post on LBS admissions blog:
“So this year we are introducing a video submission element for all candidates who reach the interview stage. This was not a decision we took lightly. We’ve been considering making this introduction for a couple of years. We piloted the process last year with a few candidates, to help us assess English language skills. But this year we are going all-out and using the videos to help us learn a lot more about you.
I want to take this opportunity to reassure all interviewees that we are being very thoughtful about how we use this exciting new addition to our process. The team have carefully considered what our expectations are and the limitations of the new addition. We recognise that we need to consider cultural differences, as we do with everything, because we have such an international community. Some people will feel a lot more comfortable than others filming themselves answering questions. And some professional backgrounds train you to carry out such activities. We are NOT looking to use this as a tool to disqualify candidates or ‘catch you out’. Quite the opposite – it is another opportunity to shine and help us get to know you. Don’t even worry (too much) if you don’t time your answers perfectly – we won’t deduct points. We just want to see how you perform on both the prepared question and the unprepared section. We love meeting candidates at events, but it’s not possible to meet you all, so this helps us see you in action.”
LBS candidates are aksed 2 questions – the 1st one is known in advance (see #1 below) and the 2nd is randomly selected. The second question is a behavioral question, and it varies from candidate to candidate. Here are some optional questions (you may get one of these questions, or a paraphrase of one of these questions. You may also get a different question entirely – they have a question bank of hundreds of questions).
Candidate is given 40 seconds to think of an answer and 90 seconds to record the answer for each question.
Examples of LBS video questions:
- What will you gain from the London Business School MBA Programme that you won’t gain from another MBA programme? (question for all candidates, known in advance ; Basically, they ask WHY LBS?)
- Tell us about a time a team member did not “pull his weight” in the team, How did you handle this situation?
- Tell us about a time you were introduced to a new culture. What did you gain from this experience?
- Why do you think you are fit for working in an international environment?
- What is the importance of diversity at the workplace?
- What is the most important aspect of teamwork?
- What is the most challenging aspect of working in an internationally diverse environment?
- Tell us about a situation in which you were part of a dysfunctional team, and what steps did you take to improve the situation.
- Please give an example of an encounter you’ve had with another culture, and what did you learn from it.
- Tell us why working in an international environment is important to you?
- What, in your opinion, is most challenging about studying in a diverse study group?